Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Special Day for a Special Guy

Today is a special day for someone who is very special to me.  Not many people outside of my family know this, because I do not talk about it...ever.  A decade ago (in another life) I was married.  It was a very brief marriage, 2 years if you count the 6 months we were separated before the divorce was final.  What very few people know, and I never talk about, is I have a stepson.

Today is his 18th birthday.  K. was 6 when I met him and almost 8 the last time I saw or spoke to him.  Not a year has gone by that I do not think about him on June 6.   Today he is an adult and this week, very likely, he is graduating from high school.  I miss him very much, and I often wonder how he is doing.  Losing him was, and still is, very painful for me.  He was my stepson, and for a few days each week for a year and a half, I got to be his mom.  I got to pick him up from school, and help him with his homework.  I got to tuck him into bed and play board games with him.

Today he is taking his first steps into adulthood, but in my head he is always going to be the blond haired cutie I knew a decade ago.  I hope that as K begins his life, he makes good choices and finds happiness in whatever he does.   I have not forgotten you K, and you will always have a place in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Your so gorgeous Maggie, I'm sure he felt the same about you.

    ReplyDelete